Who can file a lawsuit for nursing home abuse or neglect?

If someone suspects that their loved one suffered an injury in a nursing home because of abuse or neglect, they should consult with an attorney right away. You and your loved one have legal rights, and you may be able to pursue compensation for harm suffered.

Depending on the harm suffered, the nursing home resident and/or the resident’s family may be able to file a lawsuit for damages. Whether the lawsuit will be filed by the resident or their family may depend on the mental state of the resident and whether they have the capacity to file a lawsuit.

Please contact Joyce & Reyes for a free consultation to learn more about your rights. We will be happy to discuss the individual circumstances of your case and answer any questions you may have about how to protect your loved one’s rights.

Other FAQs