What is a UM claim in a Florida car accident?

There are several types of insurance that might come into play if you have been in a car accident. The primary type of automobile insurance that you buy is called Bodily Injury (BI) insurance. This insurance protects you from lawsuits if you cause the crash and injure someone else. Bodily Injury insurance coverage allows your insurance company to pay the injured person up to the limit of your BI policy.

Another type of insurance coverage that might come into play in a Florida car accident is Personal Injury Protection (PIP). Personal Injury Protection is used by you if you were injured in an accident to pay for your medical bills and lost wages. In Florida, PIP is called the “no-fault” part of your automobile coverage because you use the PIP coverage that you paid for no matter who was at fault, even if another driver was negligent and caused the crash. If your injuries exhaust the PIP coverage (which is set at a state minimum of $10,000), then you can use your health insurance or even go after the other driver’s insurance for unpaid medical bills or lost wages that were not reimbursed.

The third type of insurance coverage for Florida car accidents is called Uninsurance (UM) or Underinsurance (UIM). This is insurance coverage that you can choose to pay extra for and will be added to your policy. This coverage will kick in when an at-fault driver is negligent, causes an accident and causes you injury, but either has no insurance (UM claim) or does not have enough BI insurance (UIM claim) on their vehicle to cover the extent of your injuries. When one of these scenarios happen, you can turn to your insurance company and make either a UM claim or a UIM claim. At that point, your insurance company would be your adversary.

That is why it is crucial to hire an experienced auto accident lawyer to make sure you have the full insurance coverage that is possible for your injuries. If you have been injured in a car accident, please do not hesitate to contact the lawyers at Joyce & Reyes at (813) 251-2007. The initial consultation is free.

Other Tampa Personal Injury Questions & Answers: