What if the at-fault driver in my car accident doesn’t have insurance or enough insurance to cover my damages?

Sometimes in auto accidents, the at-fault driver is uninsured or does not have enough insurance to cover your damages and injuries. When this happens, you can rely upon your uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) policy, assuming you have purchased this on your own automobile policy.

UM/UIM insurance coverage is a good thing to purchase to protect yourself because Florida does not mandate drivers having to purchase bodily injury coverage. Therefore, if you are injured by another driver, and that person does not have coverage, then you can rely upon your own UIM coverage. You would be negotiating a settlement or filing a lawsuit against your own insurance company in order to recover your damages, including pain and suffering damages.

Your insurance rates will not go up if you file suit against your insurance company. Further, in order for you to be able to obtain this type of coverage, you will also have to prove that the car or truck crash was not your fault but was the fault of the other, uninsured driver.

Other Tampa Personal Injury Questions & Answers: