If I suspect nursing home abuse or neglect, what can I do?

If someone suspects that abuse or neglect is occurring at a nursing home, there are things they can do to protect their loved one and other residents. The first thing they will probably want to do is take practical steps to make sure their loved one is safe. They should report any problems to the facility, and follow up in person, making it clear to personnel that they will be watching. Depending on the circumstances, the concerned family member may want to take further action.

One action they can take is to file a complaint with Florida’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman, which investigates complaints made on behalf of residents. They can contact the Ombudsman’s office by calling 1-888-831-0404 or visiting ombudsman.myflorida.com. They can also report elder abuse, of their loved one or of any vulnerable adult, to Florida’s elder abuse hotline at 1-800-962-2873.

If one’s loved one was injured by nursing home abuse or neglect, one may wish to file a lawsuit to obtain compensation for the harm suffered. Please contact Joyce & Reyes for a free consultation to learn more about your rights.

Other FAQs